Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my relationship status would be so concerning to so many people. What I find even more exasperating is that whatever that relationship status is, you're still not any more satisfied. No, I don't cry myself to sleep every night that I am single. And no, I don't start making marriage plans when I date someone. When relationships end you wink and say "sure...for now" as if I'm denying my own feelings. And when relationships start you're hesitant as if I don't know what I'm getting into. I just want you to know that whatever happens in my life, you're going to survive. You. YOU are going to survive.
(Still in calming, soothing voice-mode here)
Somehow you've managed to manifest your own discomfort with my relationship status as MY discomfort with my relationship status, and I want you to realize this.
So to help I've created a Pro/Pro debate below. A list of things that I think are pro's about being single, and a list of things that I think are pro's about being in a relationship. I want you to refer to this when you're feeling a little uneasy.
First, pro-single (because I think you struggle with this more).
- I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. Example: "Kristy, what service are you going to?" Response: "Whichever one I wake up in time for."
- I can eat a spicy and elaborate Thai dish for dinner one night and vanilla yogurt the next.
- "Girls night" is every night, not just once every 6-7 months.
- I only have one set of families to travel to over the holidays.
- I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. Example: "So are you planning on staying in Columbia?" Response: "I don't know, I'll move to Colorado eventually, but I'm thinking about living in Chicago for awhile."
Second, pro-relationship (because this is a good thing, too)
- Built in buddy system.
- Warm and fuzzies.
- First getting to know someone.
- Really getting to know someone.
- Wanting to worry and care about someone because they worry and care about you.
Like I tell my patients...I'm a glass is half full sort of girl.